Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robert1954...
robert1954...

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:02pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat worktops

Hi there I am fitting out a 57'trad narrowboat. Could any one tell me what the normal depth of the kitchen worktops should be. Domestic kitchens are usually 620mm but this would seem to take up rather a lot of space in a narrowboat. Thanks Rob

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:21am

Post Subject: Narrowboat worktops

There is no "standard" so make them the depth you like. For instance a boat with a low hull side but tall cabin sides may not allow the worktop to fit below the gunwale against the hull side so would have perhaps 3" less depth compared with a boat with a taller hull but lower cabin sides. If you see kitchen fitters at work they seem to happily cut worktops to fit the job. In some cases they have to scribe the back f the worktop to fit the wall. I think that you will find there are some 500mm kitchen units around so choosing those and modifying the backs to fit against the hull side would save you about 4" of depth. The more exotic worktops are normally supplied to your template so would come pre-formed to any depth. However if thinking of granite be aware of weight and ballasting issues with a heavy weight on one side of the boat. Maybe this is why we used to Formica 12mm plywood as a worktop. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.