Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Shipleyman...
Shipleyman...

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:57pm

Post Subject: Header Tank

Hi i have a header tank abouve the water tank. Will this be the central heating header tank. if so what do i top it up with, Also where is it possible to some simple diagrams of heating and water systems thanks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07am

Unlike cars where years of research has caused almost all cars to be very similar boats, especially narrowboats, are still very different so the only way to be positive about the purpose of that tanks would be to trace it's pipework and see what it is connected to. If it is close to head height or above it is probably the central heating header tank but I can not be sure. If your central heating uses a pumped system the tank could be lower. I am a bit confused about the "above the water tank" because most narrowboat tanks (but again not all) are at the front of the boat under the well deck or right in the bow section so fitting a tank above them would be unsightly and less easy. If it is a central heating tank the whole system should be filled with a 30 to 50% (no more) car antifreeze mixture and changes at the intervals recommended by the antifreeze manufacturer. Do NOT mix red/purple antifreezes with the blue/green ones. You will find a section on water systems in the Maintenance Notes on www.TB-Training.co.uk. Heating systems area different kettle of fish because there are several types and layouts. In each individual case one would have to trace the system to give me the information I would need to draw the diagram but you would make a good start by getting an older book about domestic central heating from the library making sure it dealt with single pipe and gravity systems. Tony Brooks

Shipleyman...
Shipleyman...

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:47pm

Thanks for that

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.