Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Kev1311...
Kev1311...

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:31pm

Post Subject: ammeter

I have two 105 AmpH batteries linked together to give 210 Amph. I want to install an ammeter so I can keep a check on their rate of charge. I have a seperate starter battery. How do I achieve this please

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:00pm

First establish the maximum current that the ammeter will have to register. This may be the maximum alternator output plus (say) 20% or the maximum demand from an inverter - whichever is the greater. Then obtain a SHUNTED ammeter with matched shunt. Hopefully the ammeter will come with detailed fitting instructions if you get it from a reputable source. IF not then it is usual to put the ammeter in the negative cable between the domestic loads and the battery bank but as some ammeters are designed to go into the positive plus some that are not fussy which cable to use it is bets to go by the instructions supplied. Just make sure that NOTHING that demands currents higher than the ammeter is rated for (like the starter) can pass current through the shunt. You can get non-shunted ammeters but these are normally less accurate, are liable to cause voltdrop on the charging circuit and often cause charging problems so stick with one that uses a shunt. Tony Brooks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:55am

IMPORTANT - The fourth sentence should read "put the SHUNT in the negative lead". The original text was correct for non-shunted ammeters but they are not recommended. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.