Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
clufruleso...
clufruleso...

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33pm

Post Subject: hot water heating

I have a 57ft boat with a lockgate diesel stove.I have piped the stove with a gentle rise along the boat and then a return through two lengths of finrad. This works fine and delivers heat to the bedroom and bathroom.The water circulates well.I have inserted a gate valve into this circuit and two 22mm to 15mm tee's one each side of this valve. I can now close the valve and pump the circulating water through my calorifier, This all happens but the system soon gets much cooler and it takes hours to get a cylinder of even luke warm water.Can you explain this. Is it that the circulating water is going round so quickly that it has no time to heat up, What can I do to slow it down if that is the reason. John Roscoe.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35pm

Post Subject: hot water heating

I suspect that you are taking more heat out of the water than the stove can put back in. It may be that the water passes through the stove too quickly so maybe there is a way of adjusting the pump flow. I have heard of people who have resorted to putting a pipe thermostat on the stove outlet pipe so it only pumps water when it is hot enough. If you want to try this please make sure that you get a DC rated thermostat or use the thermostat to control a 12v DC relay. Also put a switch in parallel with the stat so if the stat or relay fails you can switch the pump on manually. This is not quiet so important on a diesel stove because if it did overheat it should shut down before the water boils. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.