Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
smudger...
smudger...

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:59pm

Post Subject: paintwork

Hi, we currently have a boat who's paintwork requires work. The sun has faded it over time and i don't think the previous owners polished it much. can you recommend any good polish i believe car body shops use G2 compound paste which gets all the dirt out and brings the shine back but you then have to apply another polish to seal it and then do the same again with a normal car polish if required, is this good to use. regards

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29am

First of all you need to be very sure that whatever you use does not contain any silicons because they can cause problems in touching up and future repaints. Carbanura wax seems to be the preferred, if expensive, polish. I would be doubtful about using a cutting paste unless you are experienced in its use. It might be a bit harsh and remove any signwriting. As coach paint is probably softer than car paint you may also find you rub right through the top coat. I tend to use T cut but some say it causes the paint to bloom but I have not found that. but it does rub through signwriting. I think that you are talking about the Autogleam range of products but as I do not have any data sheets I can not see if any contain silicons. Tony Brooks

favours...
favours...

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39pm

I have just checked the Autoglym website, and confirmed that their Super Resin Polish does contain silicone.

penwarner...
penwarner...

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04am

Can anyone tell me where you can get carbanura wax?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55pm

All sorts of places. Craftmaster Paints will mail order it and some chandlers stock their brand. I think Midland Chandlers are doing another brand. It is also worth looking at car polishes but its better to avoid ones that also contain silicon.

cisco1...
cisco1...

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:04am

i now only use craftmaster paint and also there polish expensive but worth it tried other boat paint and its rubbish but thats just my opinion

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 46.  Total Objects: 165.  Total Unserialized: 6. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.