Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
malcolm1...
malcolm1...

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01pm

Post Subject: fuel tank - narrow boat

since filling up with fuel my engine has not been functioning correctly. I found that after investigating it is fuel starvation. The feeder pipe from the fuel tank is partially blocked. Also the Pipe from the tank is blocked. Only entrance to the tank is via a 2 inch filler neck. Any suggestion on how to clear the blockages. I am thinking of pumping air into the pipe back into the tank to try and clear the blockage. Thanks for your help and I enjoy reading your web page. regards Mal

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27pm

Post Subject: fuel tank - narrow boat

By all means try blowing air back to the tank (I have used a car's spare tyre and a length of hose), but I have a horrible feeling that you have a bad case of "diesel bug" so when filling it stirred up the muck and jelly so things have blocked up. The state of the fuel filter(s), any water separators, and any strainer in the lift pump would probably give us a clue about the problem. I assume that if you are contemplating blowing air through the pipes you are competent to bleed the system. If not please give me details about the engine. If I am correct then either you need to pump all the fuel from your tank and then refill with new fuel using an additive like Marine 16 or Grotamar or pay for fuel polishing. If pipes are blocked I doubt just putting an additive in the tank will be sufficient. Please, from now on use an additive and pump any water from the bottom of the tank at least every year. Come back if you want more information. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.