Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
coolahba...
coolahba...

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:36pm

Post Subject: welding

hi i would like to have new door hindges and latches welded onto my boat for security measures.Is it ok to have them welded on whilst in the water and if so what measures would need to be taken to ensure no damage i.e to electrical system or stray currents ect. thanks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:48pm

Post Subject: welding

The case for electric welders damaging electrical equipment is far from clear cut but if you want to be sure disconnect the batteries and alternator. The welder may have special device that may offer further protection. The closer the "earth" camp is to the welding site the more likely the current is to flow straight from the rod/wire to the negative clamp. Any decent welder should take all necessary precautions. I have no problems with having electric welding done whilst afloat. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.