Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
PeterI...
PeterI...

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:45pm

Post Subject: Metric to imperial copper pipe

Hi Tony, I'm replacing/upgrading my fuel system, and bought 8mm copper pipe for the job. However, I find that some items (eg, pre-made ISO 7840 flexible hose) comes with imperial spigots. Can I join 5/16" (ie. 7.9mm) spigots to 8mm pipe by using an 8mm/8mm coupler, with one olive replaced with a 5/16" one? Thanks Pete

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:33am

You can because the difference in diameter is only about 2 thousandths of an inch but as you say you might have to change one of the olives to fit the tube. However as with anything like this to do so is not good practice so I can not give you permission to do it or condone it. In 99.9% of the time it will be perfectly serviceable, especially with fuel rather than gas but there is always a chance it may not be.

PeterI...
PeterI...

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:38pm

Thank you Tony, Pete

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.