Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Consort...
Consort...

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11am

Post Subject: Calorifier pipework

Hi Tony, Having run my hotwater sustem with just the immersion for a few months, I now want to complete the central heating installation. The calorifier has two heating coils. My question is does it matter which of the two coils (upper or lower) is used for the Eberspacher/electric boiler. It is a vertical calorifier and the boat spends most of its time connected to the shore-line using the electric boiler. I'm assuming the lower coil will heat more of the tank. I was thinking of connecting the upper one to the engine. Is there a convention? Stephen

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00am

There is no convention as far as I know but my practice is to connect the supply with the shortest "run time" to the lower coil so it heats more of the water without relying upon convection to heat the lower portions. In general the heating when in use tends to run all day while the engine may only run for a few hours if that. This means I connect the engine to the lower coil and the central heating to the upper one. Over time convection currents within the tank should heat most of the water but it takes time. Unless yours is an odd system the "electric boiler" is usually an immersion heater in the calorifer so it does not connect to a coil but heats the water directly (usually towards the top of the cylinder). Feel free to connect the coils in the way you think is best.

Consort...
Consort...

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27am

Many thanks for that Tony. Yes vit makes sense for the longest running source to go to the circuit that takes the longest so will do as suggested. Incidentally, the electric boiler referred to is a de-tuned (down to 3KW) Santon electric flow boiler in parallel with the Eberspacher (both have isolating valves. I also have the immersion. However the latter is just 1.25KW and only tends to heat the top half of the tank unless it's on continuously

Consort...
Consort...

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44am

Calorifier pipework

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.82 seconds.