Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ariadne...
Ariadne...

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48am

Post Subject: bike storage

Has anyone got a good idea for safely fitting a bike rack on the stern of a narrowboat

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08am

Post Subject: bike storage

All those I see (assuming a push bike) are welded to the boat in some way but you need to ensure the stern fender extends back further than the bike. Otherwise you may crush the bike if the boat runs back into a lock gate. On a cruiser stern it could be welded to the stern rail while on a semi-trad or trad it may require more metalwork because it will have to be welded to the hull. In may cases the said racks were fabricated rather than shop bought. Actually I think all were. You could drill and bolt onto a cruiser stern rail. I am sure you know but make sure you have a couple of eyes welded onto the rack so you can secure the boat with a security chain. For the odd week or so my grown up kids put a pair of bikes in the cruiser stern cockpit and chin them to the stern rail but it can involve moving them away from the bank side to get on and off. I hope other readers will chip in.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.