Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Mrapollo...
Mrapollo...

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:39am

Post Subject: First boating Holiday

Can any of you fine people on this great page help out an ignorant Yank from across the pond? (I'm not so ignorant in that I didn't vote for Trump!) I will be traveling to England for my 6th time, but taking my fiancée who has never been. I would like to take my first narrowboat vacation. However, I really don't want to spend more than 3 days on the water as there is so much I want to show my bride-to-be of your beautiful and endlessly interesting island. Can anyone recommend a good 3-day circular route, or an excellent out and back for 3 days? I am most interested in the countryside and pubs, and showing my lady pretty villages and castles. I don't care about the locks so much. I'd like to avoid big cities and the motorway. Thank you in advance. Oh, we will be there in late September through the middle of October. Sincerely, George

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41am

I can't think of a 3 day ring apart from a one day one in the central London where there are no hire boats and very crowded moorings. My recommendation would be to pick the boat up from the Napton/Braunston area and then head up the North Oxford canal. towards Coventry. There will be 3 or four locks but they are narrow and easy to use (often volunteer keepers on duty to advise). You will have to go through Rugby but it soon passes. Brinklow has a ruined castle (well grassy hillocks actually) and is a village. Otherwise rural for most of its length. I don't know what transport you will have but it would be a train to Rugby or Leamington Spa and a taxi to the boatyard. I hope other readers will now give their ideas.

Mrapollo...
Mrapollo...

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21pm

Thank you Tony-B so much for your quick response. I will have a car for my whole 4-week visit. The Oxford canal sounds great. I am not adversed to the locks, I just don't want dozens of them. How are the pubs along the route you recommend?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:48pm

Depending upon where you start from. The Folly with "turning round" hole at Napton but thatâs maybe half an hour from Napton Junction the wrong way but if you start from Napton it might be a good first night stop. The Kings Head by napton Junction. Four pubs in Braunston, one1 chain eatery, one definitely a locals pub and two more. A chain eatery pub at Hilmorton, Ditto canal side at Rugby. One pub just before the tunnel just outside Rugby. At least one pub in Brinklow, about 10 to 15 minutes walk from the rural mooring, I in Ansty (I think its another chain, and the Greyhound famous old boatmans' pub at Sutton stop where the North Oxford ends. There may be more a bit of a walk away form the canal but as we rarely visit pubs when we are cruising so not know them. There is the Olive Tree at Flecknow but its about half an hour away by foot. Be aware that the guide books always seem to be many years out of date and pubs that may be listed are long since gone. Shops for supplies: Coop or Tesco in Southam before you pick up the boat, village store plus butchers/greengrocers in Braunston, Tesco all but canal side at Rugby, village store at Brinklow and that's your lot. I doubt you will get to the Greyhound is just three days. I suggest you find an online map of the canals that should show these locations.

Mrapollo...
Mrapollo...

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11pm

Thank you again Tony-B for taking so much time. Have you ever cruised a canal in Yorkshire County? Any recommendations up there?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:40am

Yes but they are all more or far more heavily locked than the route I described and the Leeds & Liverpool and the Rochdale are wide beam canals so the locks are heavier going. The Huddersfield Narrow Canal is,a sits name suggests, narrow but is exceptionally heavily locked and suffers on going water/depth problems. This is not a canal for first timers and there is a tunnel that you have to book, your boat may not fit and the hire company may not allow passage. There are some canal & river navigations to the east but they were rebuilt for several hundred ton barges and are huge (for UK inland navigations) and I don't think there are many hire fleets around. If wide locks do not concern you then look into boat hire from the Skipton area. You can follow canals so you get an idea about the landscape and locks on Google Earth.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.