Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
CarolB...
CarolB...

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:52am

Post Subject: Leaking Skylight

Our metal skylight with a double glazed panel (lined inside with timber) is leaking. We tried silicon, but this didn't resolve the problem. An advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14am

I don't know exactly what you are talking about. It sounds as if it might be what is known as a pigeon box as found above the engines in a traditional narrow boat or it could well be something different, especially if its not on a narrow boat. I also ned to know how this skylight is fixed to the boat. If you want a good quality answer it would probably be best if you email me some photos of both the inside and outside the boat with one annotated to show exactly where you think the leak is. Send to Tony@tb-training.co.uk many thanks.

CarolB...
CarolB...

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29am

Its's one half of the skylight on a narrowboat. I'll try to take some better photos. Thank you.

Leaking Skylight
Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:38am

I am sorry but there is no way I can do anything with that image. The forum crushes all the images down into not much more than a thumb nail. Please send by email to Tony@tb-training.co.uk and I will be able to look at them at their full size. Also can you give me an idea about how old the boat is or if fitted lather how long they have been fitted. At this stage I suspect that you may have rust under the fame pushing it away from the boat's roof but that is only one of many possibilities.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32am

For other readers. I have got a photo and it looks like poor design to me because water pooling on the glass inserts will be higher than the inner frame lip so with any sealing failure will leak. I have advised Carol how to proceed to mitigate the leak but probably not cure it over the longer term.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.