Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cocopop...
cocopop...

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57am

Post Subject: Bilge Pump

I purchased my firdt narrowboat in Febuary pumped the bilge regualy never saw water now pump doesnt work and I dont know were it is, looked in engine wondererd if if could be under beds only all carpeted theres no sign of hatch anywhere boat is 1989 eggbridge

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:48am

I am going to assume the boat has the engine at the stern. First question is how do you know its got a bilge pump? If there is a switch marked bilge pump that does not mean a pump is connected to it. If there is such a switch then can you hear a pump running when you turn it on? Boats are not like cars where every car has more or less the same basic equipment in very similar places, they are all one-offs. Your boat may have an all in one bilge that runs the full length of the boat or the accommodation bilge under the cabin may be separate to the engine area bilge (assuming its not a centre engine room boat). Your front well deck may be self draining (floor at a higher level with holes through the sidle to the hull to drain it) or with the floor at a low level. In the later case you may have an all in one bilge or pipes connecting the front of the boat to the back. If it is an all in one bilge boat or one that has pipes then the bilge pump is normally in the engine area but NOT in the engine oil drip tray. If it has a separate accommodation bilge then very often there is no pump for that bilge but its vital to have an inspection hatch because water can build up in that bilge from condensation and window leaks. This is normally located close to the rear bulkhead typically under the rear steps or in the bottom of a cupboard built against the rear bulkhead. Often boaters just pump and sponge this bilge out manually a sand when its need and on a well maintained and insulated boat that may be very rarely. If there is no trap then now may be a good time to cut one - close to the rear bulkhead and as close to centre as possible. I think you need to spend a bit of time with a torch trying to work out exactly how your boat has been built and equipped. Please come back if you need more help or information.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:05pm

Thanks for the reply, I now realise, maybe I should have asked more technical Questions rather than looking at the decor

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:21am

That applies to you and very many others but that is what we are here for. There is also Canalworld.net an internet form where you can ask questions and if you don't want to ask questions in public I am always happy to receive them by emails. Tony@tb-training.co.uk. Being new to boat owning is a steep learning curve and if a missing bilge pump is the only problem you are doing very well.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.