Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:58pm

Post Subject: Window sealant

Hi, some of the windows on my 15 yr old narrowboat need to be resealed. Can you recommend a non-silicone sealant to do the job

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:30pm

Both adhesive closed cell foam strip and butyl strip are available from many chandlers and are designed to seal windows to cabin side. I used butyl strip but as it tends to ooze out of the joint when the window is tightened and also when the sun warms it I would use closed cell foam next time. The windows will have to come out and any rust under the frames dealt with if you want a long lasting seal. Be very wary gunned sealer because some will make an excellent seal but then make it difficult or impossible to remove the windows.

Ray
Ray

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:32pm

Many thanks for the ideas and advice, very much appreciated, Ray

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.