Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
fatpete...
fatpete...

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:51pm

Post Subject: Coventry Victor

Hi, Does anybody know anything about an old Coventry Victor twin diesel with UPRIGHT cylinders? It starts and runs but the gearbox does'nt work. I have an engine number: COMO/383/L2260. If you can help I would be very grateful!

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:55pm

I am sorry but I have no inexpedience of those engines and I doubt many of our readers have either but I do know people who might know can be contacted on the Canalworld forum. www.canalworld.net. They may ask you for photos so they can identify the gearbox. I suspect it is a planet gear gearbox and they usually have adjustments for the ahead and astern gear but where and how I don't know. You will also need to tell them more that "the gearbox doesn't work. Does the leaver move t each position? Does the lever feel a sf t goes into gear but the shaft won't drive indicating slipping clutches and so on.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:27pm

Since my last reply I have been searching the net and it seems much as I suspected it is a common type (not make or model) of gearbox from that time so I may be able to help you. As I indicated more information about the exact symptoms are needed and to be sure I need photos of the gearbox sowing both sides and the top. Please email them to me directly - Tony@tb-training.co.uk

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:51pm

I have found a photo of an vertical Coventry Victor with a TMP hydraulic gearbox attached and if your box is one of those a lack of gearbox oil will prevent it operating. I can't be sure without photos.

fatpete...
fatpete...

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:56pm

Thank you very much for all your research. As soon as I can get down to the boat I'll photograph the gearbox. The selector does move albeit reluctantly! One thing I did notice was the oil does not look like ATF hydraulic fluid.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:26pm

Thanks, I await the photos with interest. ATF is not often used in gearboxes. The ones I know are Hurth and PRM mechanical boxes but they are too new for your engine and Borg Warner Velvet Drive. That one is probably old enough but I don't think it would be fitted to your engine. Most use engine oil and very few (Lister) use EP80 gear oil. There is a good chance that you have a reduction box on the end of your gearbox and if so that will have oil in it as well. The reduction box (if fitted) might use gear oil.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.36 seconds.