Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
parussel...
parussel...

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:04pm

Post Subject: Victron vs Airlink Isolation Transformer

Iâd like to get an isolation transformer for my narrow boat. I want to save as much space in my boatâs engine room, so I like the look of the 3600 VA Victron transformer because it is relatively small and can fit against a wall. Someone recommended that the Airlink transformer is a good option because itâs easier to fit and the larger size might mean it is more robust. Does anyone have any experience with these transformers? Can anyone comment on their reliability and the challenges of fitting the Victron isolation transformer, please? Thanks. Hereâs the 3600 VA Victron transformer ⦠https://www.victronenergy.co m/isolation-transformers/isolation-transformers- 2000va-3600va-7000va Hereâs the Airlink transformer ⦠https://airlinktransformers. com/product/boating-transformer-bt3240

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:55pm

I have to be careful here because I have no first-hand knowledge of either product but is have seen a number of reports that the earthing of the Victron unit leaves something to be desired. Stressing lack of first-hand knowledge I understand that Victron have earthed the inter-winding screen to the boat side earth so on a steel boat the inter-winding screen is in effect earthed to the hull. This means that an internal fault may well make the hull live. In the inland market Airlink seems to have a good name but they now pot the transformer plus soft start device in resin and the soft start may be the weak link so Airlink may be a little more prone to failure. Be aware that there are a number of opinions as to the best place to locate an isolation transformer but for inland use there is probably a majority for in a waterproof case off the boat (on the pontoon etc). The soft start device limits the inrush current as you turn the device on so it can not trip the circuit breakers on the power bollard or the marina's main board.

parussel...
parussel...

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:37pm

Thanks Tony-B for the reply. I'm now thinking that an Airlink off the boat (or even just sitting on the roof) would be easy to fit and would take up no space in the boat when the boat is moored up in a marina. The only thing I would need to consider is where we put it when we are on the move, and then it could just be stored in a safe place.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:52am

Just making sure you understand that an isolation transformer is not required when off a shoreline, even if you are running 240V AC stuff off an inverter. If you use a generator on the shore with an earth spike then you probably should use the transformer. Anywhere inside the cabin of the boat should be fine for storage. Never install or store any electrical equipment in a stern engine space, there is far too much condensation in that area.

parussel...
parussel...

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:31pm

Thanks, for checking. Yes, I completely understand that an isolation transformer is only required when connected to a shoreline. Regarding storage, we have a trad stern with an engine room that has a radiator where all the fitted electricals are currently. It's nice and dry, but small, so I'm trying to avoid storing the transformer there. I inferred from your first reply that the transformer could be stored outside for long durations and I can see from the data sheet that it's water resistant up to 1 meter, so my plan is to keep it on top of the boat when connected to the shoreline and leave it somewhere else, e.g. the boot of the car, whenever the boat is out and about. Thanks for taking the time to reply to the question.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.36 seconds.