Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
masseyshaw...
masseyshaw...

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:32am

Post Subject: Lockgate Reflex Diesel Stove

I need to get an engineer out to repair my diesel stove but am having a problem finding someone. I have phoned and e mailed Lockgate direct multiple times but they do not reply. Does anyone have contact details of a suitable repair service please. We are in Warwickshire.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:38am

Try looking up Reflex Stoves because I think Lockgate are just agents fr that brand. Most boaters seem to service their stoves themselves and very full instructions may be found here: https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/top ic/51727-how-to-service-a-refleks-heater/ You don't say what you think is wrong with the stove so I can't give you any tips as to where the fault may lie but these pot type burners have a host of small holes in them that need regular cleaning if they are to burn cleanly - hence people doing the service themselves. The above link will put you on the Canalworld forum and asking there is more likely to get you the contact details for an engineer.

masseyshaw...
masseyshaw...

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:15am

Thanks for the reply Tony. The problem is there is no fuel being released into the bottom of the pot initially for me to light. My tank is full and the isolation valve is open. There appears to be a pump connected after the initial valve from the main tank but I can't hear or feel it working so suspect it may be this, thats why I need the assistance of an engineer because as a first time owner I don't really know if it is pump or gravity fed and how to test the pump if it is defective.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:51pm

If there is a pump it will be electric and almost certainly have its own on-off switch so that switch needs finding. If there is no switch it will be relying on the needle valve in the control unit remaining 100% fuel tight. The pump almost certainly will be of the diaphragm type that ticks when it runs because they only use a pulse of electricity when the valve has used up the fuel from the last pulse so during running it uses the minimal amount of electricity. You need to see if any electricity is getting to the pump. A 12V light bulb with two wires or a multimeter set to 20V DC (200V for a 24V system) and connected to the two wires feeding the pump will soon tell you. Now this type of pump is known to stick so once you know it has an electrical supply try giving it a few blows with the heel of a shoe because that often frees them and allows them to work for a while. If you are new to bating I must urge you to bite the bullet and start doing it yourself. Buying a multimeter and learning how to use it would be a good first step if you don't have one. You will need one to help diagnose the inevitable battery and water pump problems you will face. Instructions in the electrical notes on www.tb-training.co.uk (free to download and print). If you really can't face trying to sort it yourself then I think Calcutt Boats will either do it for you or know a many who can. Rose Narrowboats are another possibility but you will have to take your boat to either of them. If it is the pump then once you have established it has electricity I suspect a car type electric fuel pump will do the job and not cost too much money.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.37 seconds.