Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
vicandjay...
vicandjay...

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:15pm

Post Subject: Navigating Locks

I'm pretty sure this will have been asked before but... we are new to narrow boating, and we are looking at buying a 62'4" narrowboat. Most of the canals in the north west have a 72' max size, but a couple have a max size of 62'. Would we be able to use these canals as we are only 4" over? Thanks in advance, Vicky and Jason.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:50am

Post Subject: Navigating Locks

Dear Vicky & Jason, Martin Ludgate is your man for absolute details on this but as its Saturday he may not be in the office until Monday so I will give my view. My understanding that there is one navigation that has a BW limit of 57' 6"(I think its the Huddersfield Broad) and, as you say the Leeds & Liverpool has a BW limit of 60ft. Now, I can not encourage you to ignore the BW limits, they are there for a good reason and if you do ignore them there is a greater chance that your boat will get hung up or held down in a lock. Having issued the warning I know that narrow boats longer than the official size have navigated these waterways. Both those I mention are broad beam one so a longer narrow boat can be fitted into the lock diagonally, although in one case I understand longer boast have to be reversed into the lock to avoid the cill. I suspect you will have little trouble on the Leeds & Liverpool but am not so sure about the Huddersfield.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.