Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
katyjack...
katyjack...

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:05pm

Post Subject: Selling paperwork

I am (hopefully!) selling my narrowboat and wanted some advise on the correct paperwork needed to legally hand over ownership. Does anyone know?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:27pm

Post Subject: Selling paperwork

Dear Kate, as long as the boat is not subject to a marine mortgage, is not registered as a British ship and is not on the Small Ships Register then as far as I am aware you are not obliged to supply any paperwork. I expect the new owners will want a receipt and any other such proof that you have good title to the boat like your receipt when you bought it, invoices for service and repairs etc. If it was me buying I would also demand that you sign a declaration that the boat is yours to sell and there is no outstanding finance on the boat. It is in your interest to inform BW/EA (as applicable)about the change and supply the contact details for the new owner. Personally I would send those details by recorded delivery at the least so they can not chase you for bills that should go to the new owner. If the boat is registered with either organisation above then I am sure they have their own paperwork. If there is a mortgage against the boat the new owners should want the discharge papers. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.