Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Steve
Steve

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15pm

Post Subject: Gearbox Type

Can anybody help to identify the gearbox fitted to my Gardner 3LW? It is cast iron and weighs a ton but nnfortunately the last remaining label was unreadable. There seems to be a casting date on one of the castings of 18-3-77.

Gearbox Type
Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56pm

unfortunately this forum is not really suitable for this type of question because you can not post large, detailed pictures. I suspect it might be a Parsons box but it is only a guess. Perhaps the best thing to do is to join the Canal World Forum (Google "Canal World") and then post the picture and question there, I am certain you will get your answer within days, if not hours. Tony Brooks

Steve
Steve

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:01pm

Tony Thanks I'll do that Steve

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44am

An update for other readers. Steve did as I suggested and with a couple of hours had the box identified as probably one by Twin Disk. A quick Google in images produced a photo from a company in New Zealand where the peculiar features of this box confirmed its makers. Tony Brooks

Steve
Steve

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:07am

It got even better with a subsequent email that not only identifies it as a Twin Disc but also the model, case style, mounting and potential ratio :) quote "Twin Disc MG-506 shallow case it appears to be adapted to SAE1 housing, ratio unknown but could be either 1.5:1 or 1.97:1" Thanks again Steve

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.