Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Iangreen52...
Iangreen52...

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:58pm

Post Subject: Alternator

I Have a 1986 Brummagem Narrowboat. The Engine is 1.8 BMC Thornycroft. It has one altenator, Two Leisure Batteries and one Starter Batterie Charging through a split charger diode block. The Old Alternator was getting very noisy so I have replaced it with a new one from my local car spares shop. The problems I am having are 1) The Altenator warning light does not go out when the engine starts I have to rev the engine to 3/4000 revs before the light dimms (it does not go out compleatly) The voltmeters on the Batteries indicate 13v when the light has dimmed. The Rev Counter is also very errratic both on start up and if the engine is ticking over. Also after a time at tick over the warning light will glow bright and we have to rev the engine to get it to dimm. The old altenator did not have any part numbers, the replacement is an AC Delco DELDRA3830 Can you give any suggestions to cure the problems we are having ?.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:39pm

Dear Ian, I have a horrible feeling that you may have transposed the rev-counter and warning lamp wires. However If you have I would not expect the rev-counter to register anything apart, possibly, for a single jump when the alternator develops some output. If I am correct the fact the rev-counter reads anything at all would suggest a possible alternator fault. Also check all the connections. An added complication is the split charge relay which may not be energising if you have made wrong connections. It might be a good idea to send me a digi-pic before 10am on Friday of the back of the alternator showing any terminal identification and a description of where each of the thin cables comes from or goes to. The other possibility, once we have established it is correctly connected is that it is indeed a faulty new alternator. Tony Brooks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40pm

Email address for picture:- Tony@tb-training.co.uk

Iangreen52...
Iangreen52...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:32pm

Tony Thanks for your prompt reply. As I am not local to my boat I cannot send you a picture until my next visit in a few weeks time. In regard to the connections we have tried switching the indicator light to the other connection and it does not work at all, likewise for the rev counter

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:22pm

In that case send the photo when you can but if you are sure everything is correctly connected and the rest of the circuits are OK then one must suspect a faulty unit. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.