Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
GeoffPage...
GeoffPage...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00am

Post Subject: Oil Additives

Does anyone have a view on the use of diesel additives such as BG244? My narrowboat is 58 feet, engine is a 13 years old beta 43hp and seeems to lack torque. This is noticeable when navigating tidal or flowing rivers where I literally have to use maximum throttle to make turns (into locks or mooring). The engine starts first time with a blast of black smoke which then becomes clear and remains this way whilst cruising. I have noticed that the engine tends to run fast out of gear although the tachometer says its 850 rpm. I have about 2,500 hours on the engine and regularly service fuel, oil and air filters and fill with good quality oil. We liveaboard and so the engine is often run (in gear) to assist with battery charging and domestic hot water. Do you have a view on whether BG244 would halp improve performance?

GeoffPage...
GeoffPage...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07am

Post Subject: Diesel Fuel Additives

Sorry folks I got my heading wrong. My question referes to fiesel fuel additives.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:31pm

I think that you should do some very thorough internet research and then make up your own mind. I do not think it is fair to ask for an opinion when so little technical information is on the website. If this were my boat the first think I would do is to ensure the prop is the correct size. If its undersized you may well need to run flat out on rivers. I also wonder why you think it strange that you need a prolonged burst of full speed to assist in making a turn. FWIW, I had a smoking on light loads problem and AFTER finding some qualified and independent confirmation I tried a fuel additive that contained nano particles of cerium and it did make a difference, but I have doubts that the cost of the additive was worth the improvement. Many diesels start with a puff of black smoke. Its related to lack of swirl speed in the combustion chamber as the engine accelerates. It will not be helped if the fuel pump governor was a bit reluctant. I would rather you used a product available from UK Motor Factors because it is did case problems they would have heard about it before you bought it and probably stopped stocking it. With that proviso I doubt one dose will do any harm. It might do some good. The other thing that seems odd is that 2500 hours in 13 years equals just under 2 hours running per day for a livaboard and I find that very hard to believe unless you have a gas fridge and possibly solar or wind generation. Is there some history you have not told us like its an ex hire-boat with thousands of hours on it? Tony Brooks

GeoffPage...
GeoffPage...

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:47pm

Post Subject: Fuel Additive

Thank you Tony. The liveaboard element has only been for the last 2 years so no hidden engine hours! FYI full throttle is required for making a 180 degree turn into Salters Lode lock (River Gt Ouse) and for coming back out on to the tidal stretch. If it's blowing a gale and the tide is running fast it turns into a white knuckle ride. Oh to be on the canal system!

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14pm

As I said, I am surprised that you do not expect to use full throttle when turning on a river. I certainly need full throttle to turn my 54ft boat with about 33bhp into Limehouse and also when spinning round on the Thames. Trying to push the front up into the Soar also requires full throttle when a bit of fresh is coming down. In my view it is all fairly normal and will do a properly set up and maintained engine no harm, it might even do a bit of good. In your original post you seemed to be equating the need to use full throttle with an engine problem but I just think it is normal UNLESS you have other symptoms or know for certain the engine has lost power. however if it has lost power the problem should be bad enough to present some difficulty in starting. The Tachometer reading could even be due to faulty setting up (see the manual) or a diode fault in the alternator. As you do not complain about flat batteries or poor charging the most likely explanation is faulty setting up for your alternator. Of course it could be a slipping alternator drive belt.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.