Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Briandearden
Briandearden

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01am

Post Subject: Brass Mushroom Roof Sealing

my Narrowboat is now 2 years old and several of the brass mushrooms have started to let water into the boat. On close inspection of the mushroom the ones letting water in cracks have started to appear in the roof paint where it makes contact with the mushroom base. The mushrooms are bedded to the roof using Sikaflex. The boatbuilder has offered to re-seal all the mushrooms on the roof. Is there a better method of providing a seal between the mushroom and the roof of the boat. The roof is painted in Masons paint and is very dark blue in colour.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:18am

Post Subject: Brass Mushroom Roof Sealing

Dear Brian, Sikafllex or similar is what I would use so I wonder if the builder drilled and tapped the fixing holes for machine screws or use self-tapping screws. In the latter case I have known them to work lose in roof metal because of its thickness and drilling over sized holes to make fitting easier. Machine screws are a must in my view. You could use "window seal" foam strip instead of sikaflex but I think its a fixing rather than sealing problem. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 2.00 seconds.